Sunday, August 14, 2011

How do you know if you cannot do it? You try.

A lady I have become friends with online completed her first half marathon today. She is an exceptional runner, I believe she is a natural. My posts lately have been up and down with my motivation, but today while I was thinking of what this particular lady was achieving and how that must feel I got to thinking - completing a half marathon is something *I* want to do, so that led me to think, well what is stopping me? Can I run? yes. Do I enjoy running distances as opposed to short sprints? yes. Do I have enough time to train? yes. Well when you lay your cards out on the table like that there doesnt seem to be a reason why I couldnt do it right?

I then come to realise, the only thing stopping me is me? I kept thinking, half marathon well that is 21.1kms, I mean come on. But then how do I know I cant. I can run, I can run 10k, whats an extra 11k really? The more I thought about it the more it seemed like a totally logical solution and before I knew it I was signing up for my first half marathon. I am going to do it in the central coast half marathon, and to make sure I dont pike out half way through I started a fundraising page and told EVERYONE on FB.

So now the work begins, and the work isnt so much preparing my body, its preparing my mind. I know my body can do it, it will be a matter of conditioning. But my mind, my beautiful and silly mind - well to be a little ironic, for this milestone my fundraising foundation is Sane Australia. An organisation supporting those caring for or living with a mental illness.

My PT/Friend E is going to help me train and I have put up a sign next to my bed and downloaded a training plan. So people - we're off and racing.

Fundraising page:
http://www.everydayhero.com.au/meighan_walker

Picture on the wall next to my bed, it will be the first thing I see in the morning:


Take Care,
Megs xx

No comments:

Post a Comment